Southwest District Health provides lifestyle change programs to help people prevent diabetes.
- If you have prediabetes, getting type 2 diabetes doesn’t have to be a sure thing. In fact, prediabetes can often be reversed.
- Join a CDC-recognized diabetes prevention lifestyle change program to help prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
- The program can also lower your risk of having a heart attack or stroke, improve your health overall, and help you feel more energetic.
To find out if you are risk for Prediabetes, take the Screening Test:
Research showed that people with prediabetes who take part in a structured lifestyle change program can cut their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 58% (71% for people over 60 years old). This finding was the result of the program helping people lose 5% to 7% of their body weight through healthier eating and 150 minutes of physical activity a week. For a person who weighs 200 pounds, losing 5% to 7% of their body weight means losing just 10 to 14 pounds. It doesn’t take a drastic weight loss to make a big impact.
And the impact of this program can last for years to come. Research has found that even after 10 years, people who completed a diabetes prevention lifestyle change program were one third less likely to develop type 2 diabetes.
- Lifestyle change program classes are forming now.
- Individual consultations available with medical provider referral.
- Payment plans are available for both insured and uninsured.
- Sliding scale fees are based on income and household size.
- All medical insurance plans are accepted with a medical provider referral, including Medicare and Medicaid
For more information and to sign up for classes or make an appointment.
Make an appointment to see a Nurse Practitioner
Call 208-455-5300 Option 4